İTÜNOVA TTO Intellectual and Industrial Property Rights Division provides industrialists, academics, entrepreneurs and students with awareness trainings and briefings on patent, utility model, brand and industrial design subjects. It also provides with technical support on evaluation of their innovations, application process tracking and licensing. As part of commercialization activities for inventions, services including market research, and patent and utility model evaluation for inventions within commercialization activities are also provided.
What We Do For You?
- We give trainings to raise awareness on management of Intellectual and Industrial Property Rights (IIPR) and licensing.
- We provide individual support for commercialization and protection of IIPR of the product/technology produced in our university.
- We gather, follow and regularly update every legacy, current and future effort on IIPR performed at our university at one center.
- We assist ITU Seed entrepreneurs within ITU ecosystem with identification of protection scope of their intellectual properties, and commercialization activities.
- We work with the law department for issues regarding contracts and general collaboration protocols of joint projects that ITU developed with the industry.
- We provide services including preparation of contracts to license the inventions to the industry, attending meetings with industrial organizations and proposal.
The patenting process begins with evaluation of the official application against formal requirements. Research reports issued by the Turkish Patent Institute or other accredited patent offices for applications deemed appropriate are published in the Official Patent Bulletin. Then the owner of the invention chooses a system. If the applicant chooses the unexamined system, the third person remarks on application and research report are delivered to the applicant. Following a certain amount of time, an unexamined patent is granted to the applicant for 7 years without regard for patent eligibility requirements and remarks of the third person.
In the case of examined patents, the third person reserves the right of objection in terms of patentability after issuance of research report. Where inventor prefers examined patent system and demands a review by the third person, the main examination phase begins. Then the inventor will be granted a 20-year examined patent following the positive report and elimination of unfavorable conditions.
When we receive applications from academics, our TTO specialists review their inventions. Inventions that meet protection criteria and are thought have a commercialization potential will be sent to our agreed patent office for preliminary survey. Invention information forms from our academics and the preliminary survey report of the patent office will be submitted to the İTÜNOVA TTO High Council. If approved, patent procedures for the inventions will be carried out through İTÜNOVA TTO.
The invention information form sent by İTÜNOVA TTO Intellectual Rights specialist to inventors will be filled and submitted to ITUNOVA TTO official for preliminary survey. If found acceptable and İTÜNOVA TTO High Council decides that invention application process shall be carried out by İTÜNOVA TTO, specifications of the invention will be written. Specifications of the invention will be completed with additional information from the applicant academic, which will initialize the application process.
The 12-month period before the application is called grace period for early announcements. However, İTÜNOVA TTO specialists should be notified of the early announcement of the invention.
*Grace period may not necessarily be applicable in every country.
Costs related with patent applications approved by İTÜNOVA TTO High Council will be covered by İTÜNOVA TTO.
It will be monitored by İTÜNOVA TTO specialists.